Make Your Mentoring Pledge and Be a Role Model or Mentor or Volunteer
If you are a STEM professional, STEM educator, or anyone else who can mentor girls (or boys) in STEM, make your mentoring pledge at https://www.millionwomenmentors.org and take one of these steps to help us towards the 20,000 Texas mentors goal:
Female STEM Role Models & Mentors:
- Sign up to be a FabFem role model. You can fill out a profile and be a mentor in a variety of ways from simply sharing your story in the FabFem database to volunteering to have girls contact you via email or shadow you for a day. This is one of the main sites where we point educators, parents and students who want to connect with female STEM role models in Texas! Let’s provide LOTS (20,000 or more) Texas STEM role models for them to find.
All STEM Role Models & Mentors:
- Texas STEM Connections: This is the other main site where we point educators who want to connect their students with ANY STEM role models in Texas! Texas STEM Connections is a web-based tool that makes it easy for STEM professionals to connect with K-20 educators, classrooms, out of school time programs, and other volunteer opportunities. Professionals can share their skills and expertise to bring real-world, authentic learning opportunities to all our students helping to create the next generation of innovators. Through in-person matches and virtual sessions, professionals can help educators and program providers connect their students to the world of STEM. Together we can make a difference.
- Learn how to be an effective STEM role model and what messages excite girls (and all kids) to explore and pursue STEM majors and careers. Learn more or host a Role Models Matter Workshop in your community or across your organization.
- MentorNet: Sign up as a mentor for MentorNet, an online STEM mentoring program and organization with the objective to provide ALL STEM students in the United States with access to effective mentorships in a vibrant community committed to student success. MentorNet’s new scalable platform for mentoring combines the technology of social networks with the social science of mentoring. Get matched with a STEM college student!
- The Connectory: Search for programs in your area seeking STEM mentors through the Provider Portal of The Connectory. You’ll have to take the initiative to make the contact, but the organizations listed often need volunteers and mentors to help in a variety of ways. (And if your program or org is not listed, add it so you don’t miss out!!)
- Central Texas Discover Engineering (CTDE): For those of you in Central Texas sign on to head to a Central Texas classroom and excite students about engineering and science. Teachers sign up their classroom for a STEM professional visit and hands-on activity….and STEM professionals (and STEM college students) sign up to volunteer to share their STEM experiences and lead a hands-on activity. CTDE does the matching and provides goodies for the visit. CTDE will also provide role model training to volunteers/mentors.
- STEMFire: STEMFire connects North Texas school districts to industry professionals who are passionate about volunteering to inspire young students. Discover the opportunities and enhance the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education for next generations!
Please share with as many fabulous female STEM role models as you can…let’s see if we can’t hit that 20,000 number in Texas!