SciGirls, a PBS KIDS weekly series and website, is out to change how millions of tween girls think about science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM! In each episode, animated characters Izzie and her best friend Jake find themselves in jams only science can fix. To set things right, Izzie calls on bright, curious real-life SciGirls, who put STEM to work and save the day. Izzie also invites viewers to hang out on the website, a totally safe, social networking environment where girls can connect, create personal profiles and avatars, share projects and watch every episode. SciGirls premiered nationwide on Public Television stations and online at pbskidsog.org/scigirls beginning in February 2012.
Educators across Texas are invited to participate in SciGirls professional development opportunities and discover how to engage young women (ages 8-13) through research-based, high quality activities and resources.
Versions of SciGirls workshops include:
- Excite and Engage Kids in Hands-on STEM with Free Educator Resources in English and Spanish
- Strategies to Engage Girls (and All Kids in STEM)
Participants attending a full day workshop will:
- Learn latest research for exciting and engaging girls (and boys) in STEM
- Experience FOUR hands-on STEM activities such as using dough to teach circuits, designing their own wind measurement machine and creating your own experiment to identify mystery plastics
- Leave with curriculum for over 25 hands-on, video enhanced activities that put a creative twist on teaching STEM
- Learn how to modify any activity to excite and engage kids in STEM using the SciGirls Seven
- Discover additional online resources that enhance teaching and learning experiences for all kids
By participating in the full day workshop, participants agree to:
- Offer one event or program for girls ages 8 - 13, using the SciGirls Seven and associated activities within one calendar year of training
- Join the SciGirls online community
- Collect and input your event information through the SciGirls online community
Shorter workshops (1 - 2.5 hours) are also available and are typically offered in conjunction with a K-12 STEM Outreach Forum across different Texas cities. If you are interested in hosting a SciGirls Workshop or K-12 STEM Outreach Forum in your area, please contact Tricia Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org.