Inspiring the Creators and Thinkers of Tomorrow: A STEM Symposium
Tuesday, December 5, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Engineering Education & Research Center
The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
Hosted by the Texas Girls Collaborative Project, led by the Women in Engineering Program at The University of Texas at Austin, and the Texas Advanced Computing Center at The University of Texas at Austin in collaboration with special guest, LEGO® Education.
Join us for an engaging, hands-on STEM Symposium focused on bringing computational thinking, coding and STEM to life in elementary and middle school classrooms and programs. Discover ways that you can empower students to develop analytical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and problem solving skills, while preparing them for the STEM and technology-focused jobs of tomorrow.
This event is hosted during Computer Science Education Week (CSEdWeek), held in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906), and is one of the many events or programs joining in the Greater Austin STEM Ecosystem's CSEdWeek amplification.
What: Hands-on workshops that will cover creative ways to engage students in computational thinking, robotics, science, technology, engineering and math.
Who: Open to elementary and middle school educators, administrators and program providers.
Cost: Cost is $30 and includes parking validation, breakfast and lunch. Limited scholarships available.
Registration: Please complete the online form to register for the workshop. You will receive a confirmation email with additional information on parking, the workshop agenda, etc.
- 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Registration & Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. – 8:50 a.m. Welcome from Cockrell School, TxGCP, TACC, and LEGO Education
- 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Session 1: LEGO® Education Workshops
- 11:10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Diversity & Inclusion in STEM Education & Computational Thinking
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Lunch & Tours: TACC Visualization Laboratory Tour, Cockrell School of Engineering Maker Studio Tour, Engineering Education & Research Center Self-Guided Building Tour
- 12:45 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Session 2: LEGO® Education Workshops
- 2:45 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Closing Keynote: Advanced Computing for Social Change: Educating and Engaging our Students to Compete in a Changing Workforce, Closing Ceremonies